ADO MUHAMMED YAHUZA
EXECUTIVE SECRETARY, NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR CULTURAL ORIENTATION (NICO)
Mr Ado Muhammed Yahuza was appointed the Executive Secretary, National Institute for Cultural Orientation (NICO) in September 2020. He took over from Mrs Bridgette Yerima, who acted as Director Overseeing the Office of Executive Secretary/CEO.
The man, Ado Muhammed Yahuza was born on October 2, 1961, in Yakasai, Kano City.
After his Primary education, he attended:
- School of Arabic Studies, Kano, 1977: 1980
- School of Preliminary Studies, Kano, 1980:1981
- School of Basic Studies, ABU, 1982-1983;
Mr Yahuza obtained Bachelor of Arts Degree in History, Second Class Upper from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, in 1986; In his thirst for more knowledge, he proceeded to the University of Ibadan where he obtained a Masters Degree in History in 1990; Mr Yahuza’s career in civil Service began in the Kano State History and Culture Bureau (H.C.B), where he started as a Research Officer II in 1987 and rose to a Senior Research Officer in 1990; His deep commitment to public service propelled him to move to where his cerebral and intellectual pedigree could be better utilised. Thus, he moved to National Council for Arts and Culture (NCAC), Iganmu, Lagos in 1991 where he started as a Senior Research Officer.
He was later posted to head NCAC Kaduna zonal office in 1992 with the establishment of NCAC National Durbar Gallery and was there till 2014.
While in NCAC, Mr Yahuza rose through all the ranks from the Senior Research Officer to the Director, Human Resources Management of the agency which is considered as one of the repositories of Nigerian culture. He was the Director, Human Resources Management from 2014 to September 2020 when he was appointed to his present position. Mr Yahuza will continue to be recognised for his profound personal decency and integrity, his passionate belief in the vast potential of his people which he has deployed in:
- coordinating and supervising the activities in the NCAC;
- analysing manpower needs in the NCAC;
- formulating, executing and reviewing Human Resources and administrative policy matters in the NCAC;
- monitoring, evaluating labour and welfare matters in NCAC; among others;
As an astute cultural man, Mr Yahuza has served as:
- A member, Cultural Committee, OAU Trade Fair, Kaduna, 1995;
- Chairman, Sub-Committee on Durbar, National Festival of Arts and Culture (NAFEST), Kaduna, 2004;
- Member, Organising Committee, Arewa House Exhibition titled “Northern Nigeria 1900-1996”, 2011;
- Member Governing Board, National Institute for Hospitality and Tourism (NIHOTOUR), 2014-2015; among others.
As an ardent believer in continuous improvement, Mr Yahuza attended various training programmes. They include:
- National training workshop on “Cultural Administration in Nigeria, NIPSS, Kuru, Jos, 1997;
- Workshop on “Cultural and Transformation of Rural Societies” by the Kaduna State Council for Arts and Culture, 1996;
- Management Retreat on “Cultural and National Development”, National Teachers Institute, Kaduna; 2009;
- Seminar on Chinese Culture for Government Officials from Asia and African countries”, Beijing, China, 2012;
- Educational Tour of Dubai with the aim of using Dubai Culture and Tourism Model to “Rebrand Culture and Tourism in Africa” the Nigerian Mission, 2018; among others.
Mr Yahuza’s instinct for cultural education and indomitable will invigorated him to carry out researches on:
- The social and economic organisation among the Maguzuwa in Kano in 1988;
- The patter of Urbanisation in Colonial Kano 1906-1960, 1990;
- Promoting Tourism in Nigeria: Durbar as a viable Tourism product, 2009;
- The role of cultural tourism in the socio-economic development of Nigeria, 2008;
- Culture, Youths and Societal Development, 2008.
Being a man of superb intellect, integrity, an accomplished manager and mentor of men, Mr Yahuza has received the following awards:
- Certificate of Merit – History and Culture Bureau, Kano, 1989;
- Letter of Commendation –National Council for Arts and Culture, 1994;
- Productivity Awards as best Head of Zonal Office, NCAC, 1999;
- NCAC CEO’s Most Outstanding Staff Award 2012.
Mr Yahuza, no doubt remains a valued and respected personality in Nigerian Culture.